Keeping your family entertained and inspired on holiday is no easy feat. Let’s say your partner loves adventure activities, your daughter is all about beaches, your son has a passion for animals, and you’re a foodie in search of new flavours. You’re also caught in the middle of everyone’s holiday expectations. So how do you choose a destination that will keep everyone smiling on holiday?
Easy. Few countries in the world offer an all-rounder experience like South Africa. With its breathtaking beaches, dazzling cities, captivating culture and magnificent wildlife, there’s something for everyone to enjoy in South Africa.
Cape Town & the Kruger National Park
South Africa’s top tourist magnets are undoubtedly Cape Town and the Kruger National Park. If you visit nowhere else in the country, you’ll still leave having experienced something special – and having made memories together as a family that will last a lifetime.
Cape Town is famously family-friendly, as is the Kruger Park, but the two destinations offer vastly different experiences.
The Mother City, as Cape Town is fondly known, is famous for its wide range of attractions. Here you can indulge in adventure activities such as hiking, abseiling, surfing and more – the list is truly endless. As for culinary adventures, the city is something of a foodie nirvana, featuring local cuisines, exotic edible masterpieces and a vibrant cafe scene. Add on colourful local culture, fascinating history, majestic mountains and sparkling shores, and you’ve got the perfect recipe for a family getaway.
Cape Town Checklist:
- Treat the kids to a cable-car trip up Table Mountain
- Learn about South Africa’s unique marine life at the Two Oceans Aquarium
- Enjoy a family picnic in the Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens
- Visit the resident penguin colony at Boulders Beach in Simonstown
- Explore the grand estates of the Cape Winelands
Across the country, the Kruger National Park is only a short flight from Cape Town. While small in size, the park packs a punch when it comes to wildlife, and is home to a diverse array of animals; from the Big 5 to over 600 bird species, reptiles and even fish.
Kruger Park Checklist:
- Go on an open-vehicle game drive for up-close wildlife encounters
- Interact with elephants and learn about the conservation of these gentle giants
- Take a guided walking safari for an intimate experience of the wild bushveld
- Visit a cultural village to learn about the traditions of local tribes
- See the bush from above on a hot air balloon safari
The Glorious Garden Route
If you’re not tired of South Africa’s abundant beauty yet (who could ever grow tired of it?), then you’re in for a treat. The breathtaking Garden Route coastline between Cape Town and Port Elizabeth is a paradise of ancient forests, glittering lagoons and tree-covered mountains. This is Africa at her most gentle – alluring sculptural landscapes that are as tranquil as they are dramatic.
Garden Route Checklist:
- Explore Knysna, the heart of the Garden Route, set around a natural lagoon
- Visit Monkeyland Primate Sanctuary for encounters with nature’s cheeky jesters
- Enjoy exciting watersports in Plettenberg Bay
- Take a tour to nearby Oudtshoorn and visit an ostrich farm or interact with meercats
- Explore the Cango Caves, a natural wonder of limestone caverns
Need help planning yur South African family adventure? Contact us today.